Thursday, February 10, 2005

Chocolates from Geneva

Yesterday I got an unexpected gift, a small box of chocolates from Geneva. They are Du Rhone. The gesture was very kind and I am grateful. The chocolates were fine but I was not ecstatic. I remember that the best chocolates I have tasted were bought in Geneva on rue du Mont Blanc, two years ago. I will try to find some time and get some more this April, when I will be there. They were fantastic (but the price was also on the same level).
Meanwhile, the volume rendering procedure in Delphi is moving along. I have weeded out a few bugs and I think I can have it working in the next few days. Then it will be a matter of optimizing the code heavily. Those who are interested in volume rendering should definitely look into Stefan Bruckner's Master's thesis. I got some nice ideas from there, but I am not implementing it exactly as he proposes. I have kept the idea of subdividing the whole volume into bricks but I am not using his rather complex scheme of addressing. Instead, I have decided to duplicate some of the voxels (i.e. have the bricks slightly overlapping) so that calculation of gradients is easier (and hopefully faster). I am also thinking of implementing the idea of IsoRegion leaping, that I read about in a paper by Fung and Heng. A preliminary test showed that I should get a speed-up of a factor of 3 or 4, which is very significant.

No comments:

Post a Comment