Sunday, February 13, 2005

Ray casting without errors

At last I have managed to complete the ray casting procedure in Delphi and it runs without errors. Now I need to make it much faster. I am using the data set from the Institute for Anthropology, Univeristy of Vienna, as one of my benchmarks. You can download it from here. The dataset is of a cranium without the mandible (too bad), at two resolutions. I am using the low resolution version (voxel size of 1 mm, total voxels: 218 x 218 x 142). In a window of approximately 470 x 470 pixels, it takes more than 6 seconds to draw. My target is to reduce this to less than a sec. I guess I could do it if I incorporate the IsoRegion idea. However, this particular dataset is rather noisy and the empty space around the cranium is not so empty. In contrast, the CT scan from the Chapel Hill Volume Rendering Test Dataset (get it here) is much 'smoother' and should benefit from IsoRegion leaping significantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment