Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Making Faces

Leaving for Geneva and Vienna tomorrow. Unfortunately, I doubt it if I will have much time to hunt for chocolates. I guess I will have to make do with what I find at the airport (isn't that sad?), mainly to cover orders from friends and family.
Have been reading a very nice book, "Making Faces" by Prag and Neave of British Museum Press. It describes how scientists reconstruct faces from skeletal remains. The book deals mainly with archaeology but discusses forensics also. The authors build up the face by adding layers of muscles and skin (using clay) on a duplicate of the skull. The whole method seems to involve a fair amount of artistic skill, but the authors claim that the result is reproducible because it is based on scientific principles (mainly data on the average thickness of soft tissues at various points on the face). A literature search in PubMed did not find many papers dealing with this issue. It seems that data are rather sparse. I wonder if we could get better predictive power concerning the relationship of hard and soft tissues if we factor morphometrics into the procedure. Is soft tissue thickness dependent on facial shape? How well can we predict soft tissue shape if we know the skeletal shape underneath? Nose size and shape could very well be correlated to skeletal shape (I know it is, because I have done some preliminary statistics, but is the correlation strong enough to be useful?).

No comments:

Post a Comment